Basics of Industrial Engineering: What Industrial Engineers Do
Industrial Engineering is the combination of two words ‘Industrial’ mean Industry (Production). Production is defined to convert the input resources Into output product or services with the help of production techniques, and the process equipment.
The second word is ‘Engineering’ deals with the knowledge of mathematics, physics, and economics, social science which is obtained by technical knowledge to invent, design, maintain, control and improve the system like the machine, structure, process, and material in the organization.
Industrial Engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the design, planning, improvement and installation of an integrated system of humans, resources, information, energy and effective utilization and optimization of various resources, production, manufacturing process and service delivery systems that assure performance, reliability, maintainability, schedule adherence and cost control.
Industrial engineers do works where engineering meets business. The people who like to solve the practical problems in many working situations, the environment in many verities and develop a system to improve productivity as well as quality.
In simple words we can say the work of an industrial engineer reduces the wastages of material time energy to reduce the cost and the human work should be less tiring and more comfortable to increase the efficiency and to reduce the movement and handling during the process by changing the layout and lot sizes improvement of manufacturing process by designing the production techniques such as input resources and the processes and utilization of resources with less investment.
What industrial engineering Do
As an organization looking for new methods to reduce costs and increase productivity, they progressively will go for industrial engineers to develop more efficient processes and reduce costs, material handling delays, and waste. This focus should accomplish job growth for those engineers, even in some manufacturing industries with deteriorating employment generally. Because their work is alike to that done in management occupations, many industrial engineers leave the occupation to become managers. Many openings will be created by the need to substitute industrial engineers who transfer to other occupations or leave the labor force.
Responsibilities of Industrial Engineers
Here’s a complete list of common responsibilities Industrial Engineers are required to know.
Focus on Researching ways and methods to improve and optimize the utilization of workers, resources, and machines:
- Studying and revising different manufacturing processes and systems.
- Trying to find potential health hazards and life-threatening situations in plants and other facilities in order to create safety procedures and standards;
- Chose efficient alternative and analyzing production costs;
- Establishing the important skills and knowledge necessary to run and maintain specialized machinery and technology in a plant in order to create both a profile and a training system for new employees.
Linking and communicating with their colleagues and supervising their work efficiently
- Provide Training to the Quality Control Assistants, Assemblers, and Technicians, as necessary, about processes, equipment, and documentation.
Directing regular evaluations and assessment of industrial plants and facilities for operations:
- Focus on Evaluating existing industrial plants and facilities in order to achieve possible improvements.
They design alternatives to enhance the efficiency of the production of goods and services regarding time, effort, and profitability:
- Conducting quality control evaluations in order to minimize cost and unnecessary expenses.
- Applying mathematical methods and different models (inventory, OR etc…) to design different systems e.g. manufacturing and information systems in order to meet their customer requirements.